Amanda Hirsch Writer, Actress, Online Story Strategist AmandaHirsch.Com
Jordan Hirsch CTO jordanhirsch.net
“The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.”
Improv is a performance-based art form wherein a show is created spontaneously in front of an audience.
You Are Already an Improviser:
- Your life is unscripted.
- Your choices create your reality.
- Honoring your improv skills = honing your life skills.
Specifically Improv Can Help you…
- Communicate ore effectively
- Make Decisions
- Navigate Change
- Have more fun!
Communicate More Effectively
- Give and take
- Yes, AND…
- Active listening
- Consider your objective – you can respond much more quickly when you’ve already decided what you want/need.
- Know when to edit. You’re practicing trusting yourself.
- Still no script – someone else can totally change the scene on the fly.
- Resistance is futile.
- Accept and build ("Yes, AND…")
You have to take the things coming in… but you can build on top of them.
Have More Fun
- What makes you happy?
- Do it more.
The better you become at improvising, the happier and more effective person you’ll be.
Learning to improvise = learning to live.